Friday, June 01, 2007

Astraphobia

Astraphobia is fear of thunder and lightning. On set of summer brings thunderstorms. Where I live, thunderstorms occur almost everyday and of course, every night. Nights are dreadful with anticipation of hearing the next clap of the thunder while trying to sleep. I don’t think I am scared of it like small children are. Kids usually hide under the beds to avoid hearing and seeing the thunder and lightning. In my case, I think I am just startled, but to a high extent. The sound is just too loud for me.

Pardon my scientific ignorance, but I always thought that thunder occurs when two clouds collide. Apparently, the theories have changed over the centuries. We are now supposed to believe that when hot air gushes to fill the void caused by preceding lightning, a bang like sound is produced.

Ligyrophobia is fear of loud sounds, specifically unexpected ones. But in the case of thunder, I see the lightning first and the atmosphere gives an unmistakable hint as well. Yet, I am startled every time. Wikipedia says one way of curing this loud sound phobia (in my case only thunders) is to undergo hypnosis. I would rather stuff my ears with cotton than put my senses in someone else’s hands!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home